Main menu:

Tags

Archives

ipv6 ready

Recent Comments

Install ALFA AWUS036NHR – chipset RTL8188RU – compat-wireless driver on Backtrack 5

ALFA AWUS036NHR – chip RTL8188RU – compat-wireless driver.

— Tested on Backtrack 5 R1 Gnome 32 & 64bit fresh install:
— Upgrade:
Code:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get autoremove

— Prepare kernel sources:
Code:

prepare-kernel-sources
cd /usr/src/linux
cp -rf include/generated/* include/linux/
ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/2.6.39.4/build
apt-get install linux-headers
ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.39.4/Module.symvers /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4/Module.symvers

— Build and install drivers:
Code:

cd /usr/src/
wget http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2011-10-06.tar.bz2
tar jxpf compat-wireless-2011-10-06.tar.bz2
wget http://www.backtrack-linux.org/2.6.39.patches.tar
tar xpf 2.6.39.patches.tar
cd compat-wireless-2011-10-06
patch -p1 < ../patches/mac80211-2.6.29-fix-tx-ctl-no-ack-retry-count.patch
patch -p1 < ../patches/mac80211.compat08082009.wl_frag+ack_v1.patch
patch -p1 < ../patches/zd1211rw-2.6.28.patch
patch -p1 < ../patches/ipw2200-inject.2.6.36.patch
make
make install

— I don’t want udev persistent rules on my cards…
Code:

mv /lib/udev/write_net_rules ~
mv /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules ~

— Unplug AWUS036NHR and any other if present
Code:

reboot

— Test it: (I have two wlan, wlan1 is ALFA AWUS036NHR, wlan0 is the one I’ll use to determine which attacks it supports)
Code:

iwconfig

— Plug in AWUS036NHR
Code:

iwconfig
airmon-ng check kill
airmon-ng start wlan0
airmon-ng start wlan1 (just to be shure it works even in monitor mode)
aireplay-ng -9 -i mon0 wlan1

–I get:
Trying broadcast probe requests…
No Answer…
Found 0 APs

Trying card-to-card injection…
Attack -0: OK
Attack -1 (open): OK
Attack -1 (psk): OK
Attack -2/-3/-4/-6: OK
Attack -5/-7: OK
Injection is working!

Enjoy…

Note: I’ve edited with latest compat-wireless version and added linux-headers with a link to Module.symvers, it was needed:
Code:
WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4/Module.symversΒ is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions. feel free to check if it is ok

Note2: After this upgrade, “FRITZ!WLAN USB STICK N”, (based on Atheros AR9170 Chipset, using carl9170 driver) stop load his firmware. So.. download newer “carl9170-1.fw” (now is 1.9.4) from here http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170 in “/lib/firmware” and it will load

Comments

Comment from jazzy82slave
Time February 15, 2012 at 03:07

First off, thanks for the great tut. I’ve had a headache trying to get this adapter working on BT5. One question though, does this method allow the 036nhr to enter monitor mode? I bought this adapter specifically for monitor mode, and as yet have been unable to achieve it.
Thanks again.

Time February 17, 2012 at 11:47

Monitor mode and packect injection works πŸ˜‰ have fun hacking …..

Comment from LinSkyrate
Time February 24, 2012 at 10:34

HI,

Thnx for a great tutorial πŸ™‚
Is it normal to get chipset unknown in airmon-ng start wlan0?

Hope for a good answer..

Regards
Skyrate

Time March 2, 2012 at 09:15

I’m not @ home right now ….
Will check it this weekend and post back here πŸ˜‰

EDIT:

Here’s to outcome of mine…

Interface Chipset Driver

wlan0 Unknown rtl8192cu – [phy0]
(monitor mode enabled on mon0)

Comment from jackin4
Time February 26, 2012 at 14:59

thanks for this useful post! I can finally get my card to inject, however during airodump-ng all my BSSIDs are not associated. Are you getting this too?

Time February 26, 2012 at 16:27

I noticed that too… as soon as I have found a sollution for it I’ll post it here…

Comment from tebo
Time March 31, 2012 at 22:41

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.39.4/Module.symvers is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions. feel free to check if it is ok, i got this msj, i trying to do the last steps, show me “aireplay-ng -9 -i mon0 wlan1” what should i do now?

Time April 4, 2012 at 12:19

To process the last line you need 2 adapters that are compattible with backtrack 5
mon0 is my ALFA AWUS036N
wlan1 is the ALFA AWUS036NHR

I don’t know whats causing the error on your system… are running the r1 or r2 ?

Comment from tebo
Time April 10, 2012 at 08:09

im running r1 in a virtual machine, i’ll try it to do it again and doesn’t work!, show me that same msj, do you think i should buy a compatible wireless adapter ? i have a satellite Toshiba laptop, i don’t know if my wireless card insade of computer have injection. can you give the best choice or explain me what i should do first , thanks for you time and help.

Time April 10, 2012 at 20:54

If you have a couple of $$$ to spend the best thing to do is buy a wireless adapter that is 100% supported like the realtek RTL8187 chipset.
I bought mine here http://hakshop.com but I think you’ll also find them on ebay..

Comment from tebo
Time April 11, 2012 at 03:52

ok thanks!

Comment from Walky
Time April 6, 2012 at 18:52

Hello there, thanks for this great tutorial, i started to become mad trying to connect my 036nhr.
My computer recognize the alpha and the monitor mode works..but, as i’m always unlucky during informatics difficulties, all the injections failed with aireplay-ng -9 -i and i don’t know why…
I’ve done all what you say, except your ending note because i don’t understand it :s
What I should do please?

What i get from aireplay-ng -9 -i :
19:37:03 Trying broadcast probe requests…
19:37:03 Injection is working!
19:37:04 Found 20 APs

19:37:04 Trying directed probe requests…
19:37:04 6A:A1:D7:37:54:4D – channel: 1 – ‘SFR WiFi Public’
19:37:10 0/30: 0%

19 APs later==>

19:39:05 Trying card-to-card injection…
19:39:09 Attack -0: Failed
19:39:13 Attack -1 (open): Failed
19:39:17 Attack -1 (psk): Failed
19:39:22 Attack -2/-3/-4/-6: Failed
19:39:26 Attack -5/-7: Failed

Many thanks for your tips πŸ™‚

Time April 10, 2012 at 20:49

I use the 036NHR only for monitoring and testing.

When I need to do some injecting I use a a RTL8187 πŸ˜‰

Comment from Walky
Time April 12, 2012 at 19:35

Ok! Thanxs for information! I hope I will install the RTL8187 pilot πŸ™‚ Can you tell me how have you done it please?

Time April 17, 2012 at 11:18

The RTL8187 is a other wireless adapter that is 100% compatible with backtrack and doesn’t need driver installation. It works out of the box.

Comment from tebo
Time April 16, 2012 at 09:06

hey , hi again
i bought my adapter card and i follow step by step and still no working! show me this mjs (ioctl(siocgififindex) failed no such device, what i should do! this is crazy! help please!
thanks

Time April 17, 2012 at 11:21

Hello there,

What adapter card did you bought ?
can you post your outcome of you iwconfig and your airmon-ng output and I’ll try to help you.
Please keep in mind that I’m just another user and not an expert in this.

Kind regards,
back2basic

Comment from tebo
Time April 24, 2012 at 05:04

i got it! thanks, πŸ™‚

Comment from Yololol
Time May 11, 2012 at 17:48

I AM GETTING SOME WIERD PROBLEM!

I get “error 2” after I type in “install” for the first time?
Can anyone help me?

Comment from Edward
Time May 13, 2012 at 17:10

After I type “make”, this is whats happening!

make -C /lib/modules/3.2.6/build M=/usr/src/compat-wireless-2011-10-06 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-source-3.2.6′

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-3.2.6/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/compat-wireless-2011-10-06/drivers/misc/eeprom/eeprom_93xx46.c’, needed by `/usr/src/compat-wireless-2011-10-06/drivers/misc/eeprom/eeprom_93xx46.o’. Stop.
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/compat-wireless-2011-10-06/drivers/misc/eeprom] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/compat-wireless-2011-10-06] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-3.2.6′
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Need help!

Time May 16, 2012 at 16:00

Try installing the 5 r2 from Backtrack…
It should work out of the box…

Grtzz

Comment from Yololol
Time May 14, 2012 at 02:47

Well the monitor mode sais that its working.
BUT THE WIFI ISN’T WORKING! HOW DO I GET THAT TO WORK?!

Time May 16, 2012 at 16:01

Dunno dude sorry … I use it only to monitor network πŸ˜‰

Grtzz

Comment from NW
Time June 1, 2012 at 21:45

i’m using balcktrack 5 r2, after install the driver, i can scan the AP, and they are show up, but when i connect, it always say bad password, i try on couple different Ap, all some error, when i refresh the list, then it say no wireless network card.

please help

Time June 2, 2012 at 10:54

I normally only use it to monitor networks.
Haven’t tried connecting to one…

I’ll try to find a solution for it ..

Comment from Boris The Blade
Time June 10, 2012 at 01:31

It seems to work for in monitor mode fine for me but when i try to connect to a nearby AP i can usally connect to it will not connect.
is there any new drivers that would specifically make browsing the internet etc possible?
This would be a great card if it could only connect to AP properly.
Your help would be appreciated πŸ™‚

Comment from Boris The Blade
Time June 10, 2012 at 01:33

Oh btw im using my alfa awus 036 nhr on Backtrack 5 R2 (updated)
Is there possibly a new driver i cant find?

Comment from xerxer
Time July 2, 2012 at 20:36

Hey, its working out of the box with bt5 r2 :))))
monitoring mode etc.

only the APs of the connect clients appears (not associated) help pls ? :S

Comment from Tony
Time July 20, 2012 at 03:28

Hi, I’m trying to install this driver in backtrack 5 r2 on VMware player since it has no wireless chipset adapter and I can’t get pass prepare-kernel-sources. I type in cd /usr/src/linux and it says “no such file or directory” how do you create it ?

Time July 23, 2012 at 14:25

It should work out of the box on BT 5 r2.

If you have problems updating BT5 connect a lan from your pc to the virtual machine πŸ˜‰

Comment from Dwayne
Time November 4, 2012 at 02:38

Im having a problem with my alfa awus036nhr….I from Jamaica where hacking a wifi network password is totally legal but when im using the lastest version of ALFA adapter which is the 036nhr im getting alot of erros….im using BT5 which i havnt loaded on my windows 7 pc i boot BT5 from the boot CD method….could u please tell me if there is a way to get my 036nhr work or is there a version of Back track that is compatible with the ALFA 036nhr so i can crack some wpa password for internet access or is it a case where im gonna have to purchase a different ALFA Adapter…..Thanks in advance for your any assistance

Comment from Alfred
Time August 30, 2012 at 00:58

Hey back2basic

I am running ubuntu and all I want to do is increase tx-power to 33 dbm or at least 30. It errors out if I try to set it to anything over 20 which I believe is 5% of the stated power. Do you know how I can fix this? I’ll install Backtrack if I have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment from Carlo Marks
Time November 26, 2012 at 06:32

Alfred,

I just happened upon this very old thread while looking for data on the Alfa AWUS036NHR.

In order to change tx power, you first need to change the iw reg to a regulatory domain where <20 dbm is permitted. The Linux kernel BT5 is based on has all country presets.

Bolivia is a good choice:
iw reg set BO

I'm sure you live in Bolivia and your card is just not yet properly configured : – )

Carlo

Comment from remus
Time February 24, 2013 at 12:37

make -C /lib/modules/3.2.6/build M=/usr/src/compat-wireless-2011-10-06 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-source-3.2.6′

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-3.2.6/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

make[2]: *** [/usr/src/compat-wireless-2011-10-06/drivers/misc/eeprom] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/compat-wireless-2011-10-06] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-3.2.6′
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Comment from remus
Time February 24, 2013 at 12:39

FIRST TIME I HAVE USED THIS : http://www.alfa.com.tw/press_c_show.php?sn=5

AND HAVE THIS ERROR FROM THIS FORUM: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62074&highlight=awus+036+NHR

Comment from MD
Time March 14, 2013 at 22:15

Hi,

Hoping to get a response still here even when this is quite the necro. Any chance you could remake this guide for BT5 R3? I got myself the AWUS036NHR with all the drivers on the disk (and same ones online), but getting it working on BT5 R3 seems to be quite troublesome…

Kind regards!

Comment from OLIVER CHROMUEL
Time May 27, 2013 at 16:32

I need long range antenna

Comment from anas
Time January 3, 2014 at 00:48

i have alfa awus 036nhr but i don’t know how can i do this command in back track 5r3 any one can help me plz thank’x

Comment from mr dude
Time January 6, 2014 at 23:13

Great tut dude.
Could u possibly update it for the awus036nhr v.2? and kali linux instead of bt5? that would be cool.

Comment from tjedude
Time August 19, 2014 at 08:50

I second the request of “mr dude” to get v2 working out of the box with Kali linux. I want to ask also if the chipset RTL8188RU supports promiscuous mode.

Time August 29, 2014 at 10:25

I don’t know if it possible on the v2… I don’t own one so I can’t tell you…
I could see ifIi can pushase one in the future.. but don’t count on it in a short term..

Write a comment